Naturalization certificate name change

Naturalization certificate name change

The naturalization interview and test

An officer from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) conducts the naturalization interview. The majority of the interview will be spent reviewing your application. You’ll be quizzed on the answers you provided in your application as well as the documents you submitted as evidence. Your English proficiency will also be tested during the interview.
You should inform the USCIS officer that you want to change your name during the interview. During the Oath Ceremony, the USCIS officer will ensure that the federal judge swears you as a U.S. citizen with your new name. A date for your Oath Ceremony will be mailed to you.

How to apply for a name change

If you were born in the United States and have a U.S. citizen parent, you can request a Certificate of Citizenship to help you correct spelling mistakes on official documents. Your birth certificate or records of asylum or refugee status may be among them. When you get a Certificate of Citizenship, you can’t pick a new name, but you can use it to correct a spelling error.
When you send Form N-600 to request a Certificate of Citizenship, you must include a cover letter requesting the correction. (Even if your current name is misspelled, you can use it on Form N-600.) If necessary, an affidavit from a parent or guardian who can explain the error and corroborate the request may be added to your request. You can also provide additional proof of the error.
Because USCIS may be hesitant to accept certain types of corrections, you may need to provide options for it to choose from. Even if your name is not completely corrected, you may be able to get it partially corrected or changed to a form that is more similar to your real name. The severity of the correction may be determined by the strength of your error proof. It can make a difference to include evidence of a parent’s name change or correction.

N400 parts 1 & 2 instructions

This form may be used to request a replacement Declaration of Intention, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, or Repatriation Certificate, as well as a special certificate of naturalization as a U.S. citizen that will be accepted by a foreign country.
13th of June, 2017. We’ll be releasing a new version of this form soon. In the meantime, despite the expiration date, you may continue to use the 06/13/17 version. On the form and instructions, the edition date is found at the bottom of the page. The dates are written in the format mm/dd/yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
The total cost is $555.
You can pay your fee online if you file Form N-565 online.
You can pay the fee by money order, personal check, cashier’s check, or credit card using Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions, if you file your Form N-565 by mail (paper). If you pay by check, make it payable to the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. You agree to pay for a government service when you submit a payment. Regardless of what action we take on your application, petition, or request, or if you withdraw your request, filing and biometric service fees are final and non-refundable. To assist you in determining your fee, use our Fee Calculator. If you choose Item C. in Item Number 2. of Part 2. of the application, there is no fee.

Naturalization oath ceremony

You can apply for a substitute or a special certificate of naturalization as a U.S. citizen to be accepted by a foreign country if your citizenship document was lost, stolen, or damaged beyond repair.
Without proof such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order, we will not change a person’s name. Without evidence such as a U.S. court order or state-issued papers, we will not change a date of birth on a Certificate of Citizenship.
If you reported an incorrect date of birth on your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, and then later swore to the truth of your application by signing Part 15, Signature at Interview, we cannot make any changes to an incorrect date of birth on a Certificate of Naturalization.

About the author


View all posts